Friday, July 16, 2010

Hardcore Shit Test - FAIL

Out last night to see a friend's band play. Hanging out with two buddies, a beta and a lesser beta.

I've used my David DeAngelo approved Cocky/Funny, "5 bucks, this ain't free", when girls bump into me so many times that I've lost count. ALWAYS goes well, except for last night.

Last night I used it on an HB6. Clearly joking and smiling. It went ok at first, but I'm not sure if the rest was my fault or hers.

She was kidding in the begining. Slightly confused, as if she didn't understand the context of what I was saying. So I added the usual, "this is for display purposes only". She taps me several times in a row, in what I thought was playful. And I say, "just give me your card and we'll run a tab"

She: "What's your name?"
ME: (Gave my real name)
She: "is that your real name or your fake name?"
ME: Real

I hold out my hand as if to shake hers. She looks at it and keeps talking and doesn't shake my hand. So I left my hand out in front of her, just hanging in the air. Eventually she got uncomfortable and shook my hand. (I read about people that won't shake your hand and what to do. I've been wanting to try that out. It worked.)

Then she says, "you are so cocky", while smiling and looking me up and down (sizing me up). Then she SNAPS and says, with an attitude, "What makes you think you're so special. Why do you think you can be so cocky. You're not that good looking. I bet you don't even make that much money."

ME: "Wow, right into the money thing. (to my beta buddies) See, I told you. Some chicks only want to know how much money you make.

SHE: (more bitch banter)
ME: (to my beta buddies) Are you taking notes?

SHE: So why are you cocky? What makes you think YOU can be cocky?

On and on. Her mouth doesn't stop running.
At this point my mind was stalling because of the complete 180 degree shift in her personality. I was stunned and half speechless because she became so antogonistic so quickly. And she wouldn't let up. I was so taken aback by her attack. I kept trying to blow off her question and finally said something like, "I'm allowed to be cocky." I know, weak.

I accept that this one won't be turned around and I'm done with her attitude, so I said, "It was nice to meet you. Have a good night." I put my hand out. She shook it right away and sauntered off. So I was able to salvage a modicum of value by ending the set first. Also, because I was relaxed, leaning on the bar the whole time (yes, my Cajun impression) it looked like she was gaming me. She was actually leaning in and pecking to talk to me.

Now the whole time, my beta buddies were right next to me, doing all their creepy beta stuff, like staring at us and not talking to each other. Lesser beta had a creepy grin/smirk the whole time. So this was probably a contributing factor. When she was sizing me up, was she weighing them against me?

So I've run this scenario through my head several times and slept on it. I've figured out a few things I could have done better.
1. Roll with cooler guys, or alone.
2. Don't take shit.
SHE: "you're not even that attractive"
ME: "strike one - I thought you had a sense of humor... strike two - you insulted me... It was good meeting you. Have a good night."
SHE: "what about strike three"
ME: "If I give you another chance, will you behave?"
3. My goal is to have fun. So if someone is trying to ruin my night. NEXT! Which is what I did. (It didn't ruin my night. On the contrary, I had an AMAZING night. Will post later.)
4. I'm sure I'll run into this in the future and I need to have responses. ONE DEFAULT THING TO DO IN ANY SITUATION.
5. I need more time in the field.

Things I think I did right.
1. Opened without anxiety.
2. Decent banter.
3. Won the handshake standoff.
4. Excellent body language.
5. Ended bad interaction positively and first.
6. Didn't take it personally and learned from it.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. I think you did really well. Most guys would have dissolved immediately. Basically those were immediate shit tests. It annoyed her that you were attractive. She's attracted to cockiness but is compelled to crush it. It was HER who did not have enough value for her behaviour, not you. Yet another average girl with a grotesquely inflated sense of self value.
    I'd agree with the not taking shit thing. Sometimes I miss the wood for the trees as well.
    As for rolling with cooler buddies.. sounds cruel but probably true. Doesn't mean you have to stop being friends with them and you can still have non-game nights out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the insight, man. Yeah, friends for different things. It's funny that the most beta guy I rolled with that night is the drummer for a band I'm in. He's a rock 'n roller. Should be so much more alpha. Instead he's a lost cause beta. No hope.

    ReplyDelete